It’s officially fall, and we can all began winding down from school and preparing for Thanksgiving! We’re hosting some very fun and cozy events this month to bring in the cold season. Come out and enjoy some cider, and tell us about all of the amazing times you’ve had throughout the year!
This month, we’re highlighting the wonderful sororities and fraternities that are volunteering for the Midtown Blood Drive! We’re so proud to join together with the community and organizations here in Huntsville to make a difference in someone’s life! Looking to donate? Stop by the office and register. One donation saves up to three lives!
Reminders and Updates
If you are going out of town, make sure that all your valuable items are stored in a secure place, and that you lock your bedroom door and front door before leaving.
Building a Career in College
College is such a busy, crazy time for many people that focusing on the here and now is all most can do. Well, good news! There are several ways to incorporate career building into your everyday busy life. By taking the following steps, you’ll be on your way to creating a successful future for yourself:
- Check out the Career Success Portal. Did you know that your community offers you 24/7 access to millions of jobs and internships along with many tools to improve your resume and interviewing skills? Check out CareerSuccessPortal.com and create an account today!
- Visit your university’s career center. Employers are focusing more and more on experience and skills rather than just good grades. Get in touch with organizations through the career center to branch out and participate in different activities you normally wouldn’t have. This gives you a chance to explore your major and others, and see what you’re truly passionate about.
- Evaluate yourself. Your future employer will want to know why you’re a good fit for their company. College is about finding your strengths and weaknesses — take time now to figure out your skills, values, personality traits, and interests. Learning about yourself will help prepare you for interviews when you’re hit with the question, “What do you think you will excel at the most in this position?”
- Challenge yourself. The more you’re willing to get out of your comfort zone, the more likely you’re to overcome your weaknesses. Apply for the part-time job at your apartment complex you normally wouldn’t apply for, or take that theater class you’ve always wanted to take. By challenging yourself, you’re building important skills and personality traits that will help you rise within your field.
- Take your work seriously. Whether you have a part-time job or volunteer, take the experience seriously. You can use previous supervisors for references when you are beginning your career. It will pay off in the long run to succeed in the workplace by building useful skills that you’ll have for life.
- Find a mentor. Find someone who is doing what you want to do. You can search on LinkedIn to get connected and network with others in your field who are also passionate about what they do. Talk to your professors and pick their brains as to why they chose the career they did. Once you find a mentor, everything can change. You become more motivated to succeed in something you love doing because you have someone who makes the experience a million times better.
Did you know you can build your credit history just by paying your rent? A strong credit history can help you with achieving personal and professional success. We have partnered with RentTrack to offer you the opportunity to have your rent payments reported to all three credit bureaus! Participants in this program have seen their credit scores go up an average of 51 points! Get more details and enroll today at renttrack.com/campus-advantage.
Community Events Calendar
Midtown Blood Drive — November 5 from 10 a.m.–2 p.m. — Come out to the clubhouse and save a life! Donate blood and be that change in the world you wish to see. Blood drives save lives!
Midtown Winter Bar — November 6 from 5–7 p.m. — Like warm drinks? Come down to the clubhouse for a sip with us!
November Babies — November 11 from 2–7 p.m. — Calling all November babies! Come and celebrate your birthday with us in the office! Make a wish! You never know if it will be granted.
Thankful Thoughts — November 21 from 11 a.m.–2 p.m. — What are you thankful for? Come to the clubhouse and talk about what you are blessed with in your life, and how it will help you in the future.
Midtown Thanksgiving Dinner — November 27 from 5–7 p.m. — Join us in the clubhouse to enjoy a hot meal with the Midtown family!